Twelve journalists have been selected for the AHCJ-CDC Health Journalism Fellowship, the to start with time since 2019 the two companies have been capable to offer the instruction in individual at the Centers for Condition Control and Avoidance Chamblee Campus in Atlanta.
The multi-working day coaching was held virtually in May possibly 2021 with 12 journalists taking part.
With assist from the Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Charitable Belief, this year’s fellows will devote three times — June 6-8 — studying from authorities and touring CDC’s extensive facility.
The fellowship program will incorporate displays, a tour of the David J. Sencer CDC Museum, roundtable discussions on epidemiology, global disease avoidance attempts and vaccine protection, amid other subject areas.
The AHCJ-CDC fellows are:
- Jeannie Baumann, senior reporter, Bloomberg Business Group
- Jeffrey Bendix, senior editor, Healthcare Economics
- Karen Blum, unbiased journalist, core subject matter chief/ wellness IT, AHCJ
- Amanda D’Ambrosio, business and investigative author, MedPage Currently
- Pam Kaufman, govt editor, Daily Health
- Lindsey Leake, health, welfare and social justice reporter TCPalm/Treasure Coastline newspapers
- Ashley Lyles, associate editor, Neurology Now, Wolters Kluwer
- Gillian Mohney, breaking news editor, Healthline
- Shaena Montanari, investigative health and fitness reporter, Arizona Heart for Investigative Reporting
- Emily Mullin, overall health reporter, Pittsburg Post-Gazette
- Neha Pathak, guide health-related editor, WebMD
- Michele Skalicky, reporter/morning version host, KSMU-FM
According to its mission assertion: “CDC serves as the national target for establishing and applying disorder prevention and manage, environmental overall health, and well being promotion and health and fitness education and learning functions made to enhance the wellness of the men and women of the United States. To execute its mission, CDC identifies and defines preventable health and fitness issues and maintains lively surveillance of diseases by way of epidemiologic and laboratory investigations and facts selection, examination, and distribution serves as the PHS lead company in creating and applying operational packages relating to environmental health troubles, and conducts operational investigate aimed at building and testing powerful condition prevention, management, and health and fitness advertising systems administers a national program to establish suggested occupational safety and health benchmarks and to conduct analysis, training, and specialized assistance to guarantee harmless and healthful doing work circumstances for each individual operating man or woman develops and implements a method to maintain a solid nationwide workforce in disease prevention and regulate and conducts a nationwide plan for improving upon the functionality of medical laboratories.
CDC is liable for controlling the introduction and spread of infectious disorders and offers consultation and help to other nations and intercontinental businesses to guide in improving upon their disorder prevention and handle, environmental wellness, and overall health advertising functions. CDC administers the Preventive Wellbeing and Wellness Solutions Block Grant and unique preventive wellness categorical grant systems even though furnishing method know-how and guidance in responding to Federal, Condition, area, and private companies on matters related to ailment avoidance and regulate activities.”