The Asian diet, a plant food based natural diet, is popular for being one of the healthiest diets in the world. However little is known about its detoxifying or cleansing properties of this amazing Eastern world diet plan. There are many detox supplements out there in the market, but nothing can beat the cleansing and detoxifying effects of healthy natural foods.
The traditional Asian world diet detox plan lists hundreds of herbs, fruits and vegetables. However, what we will be discussing here are natural detox foods that are common or easily available:
1. Green leafy vegetables and other green foods. Foods such as spinach, barley, spirulina, blue green algae, chard, wheatgrass, arugula and alfalfa will cleanse your digestive tract by giving it a chlorophyll boost.
Aside from helping in liver detoxification, chlorophyll flushes out harmful toxins from the environment such as heavy metals, smog, cleaning products, herbicides and pesticides.
2. Fruits. They are among nature’s best detoxification agents. With their high fiber content, vitamins, nutrients, antioxidants and high water content, they are extremely useful in washing out toxins.
3. Garlic. Long known as the herbal wonder drug, garlic acts on the liver by inducing it to produce detoxification enzymes that block harmful residues in the digestive system. It’s easy to prepare garlic. Just add sliced or cooked garlic to your food and there you go.
4. Broccoli sprouts. Broccoli has been found to have cancer-preventive and detoxification properties. Its sprouts are high in antioxidants that aid in stimulating the digestive tract’s detoxification enzymes very effectively. The 3- to 4-day old sprouts are actually more nutritious and potent than the mature vegetable.
5. Citrus fruit. Oranges, mandarin, lemons and limes aid the body in getting rid of toxins, as well as priming the digestive tract by boosting the enzymatic processes. Citrus also helps the liver perform its cleansing functions. To use citrus as detoxification agent, start your day with a warm glass of lemon water. Bear in mind that citrus is rich in vitamin C, which is one of the most potent detox agents. Vitamin C detoxifies the body by converting toxins into digestible substances.
6. Seeds and nuts. These are important sources of protein and natural fat that can greatly enhance your detox diet. They include almonds, pumpkin seeds, flaxseed, walnuts, sesame seeds, hemp seeds, chia seeds, sunflower seeds and Siberian cedar nuts. However, you need to avoid nut butters.
7. Green Tea. This amazing drink is packed full of antioxidants that slows the aging process, arrest the growth of cancer cells and wash toxins out of the system. Catechins, a special kind of antioxidant in green tea has been found to enhance liver function.
8. Raw vegetables. They are great taken raw or for juicing. So start storing up on beet, carrots, asparagus, kale, broccoli, artichoke, brussel sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, garlic, turmeric, onions and oregano. Being high in sulphur and glutathione, these foods aid the liver in getting rid of harmful chemicals.
9. Mung beans. For thousands of years, the mung bean has been used in traditional Asian medicine for detoxifying the digestive tract. This food cleanses the intestinal walls by absorbing toxins clinging to them.
10. Omega-3 oils. These oils lubricate the intestinal walls, absorb toxic residues and eventually flush them out of the body. You can use olive oils, avocado, hemp or flax seed oil.
Aside from eating these foods, it would also help if you drink plenty of water and exercise regularly. Natural detoxification should not just be a one-time process. It should be incorporated into your lifestyle and applying its principles daily.