AHCJ Health Journalism 2022 is all-around the corner, with quite a few alternatives aimed exclusively at freelance journalists. Sign-up by March 28 to acquire edge of the early chicken level.
One of the most remarkable possibilities is PitchFest, which is scheduled for the afternoon of Friday, April 29. Sixteen editors from leading publications are coming to the meeting to hear your story suggestions. They contain editors from AARP, WebMD, Countrywide Geographic, Everyday Wellness, Kaiser Well being Information and NPR. Additional particulars about just about every editor can be identified on the Friday party schedule web site on the AHCJ site.
You have to signal up in progress for just about every ten-moment appointment with an editor. The on the internet signal-up interval opens on Monday, April 4, 10 a.m. CST, enabling for a maximum of a few appointments. I would suggest blocking out that time on your calendar now and arranging to indication up that early morning. Some editors are exceptionally common and appointments with them go fast. The backlink to sign up will seem on the PitchFest page on the AHCJ internet site that morning.
There is no ensure that you will get an assignment on the spot at PitchFest, but it does happen. You increase your probabilities of getting an assignment on the working day or as a result of abide by-up e-mail by coming to just about every appointment with a properly-investigated pitch.
The PitchFest page has extra information about making ready for the event, such as 5 basic guidelines for PitchFest etiquette:
- Exhibit up. If you fall short to exhibit up for any of your appointments, you will not be permitted to signal up in progress for up coming year’s PitchFest. Additionally, be mindful that the booked editor will have your identify, perhaps harming your name with that publication for years to appear.
- Get ready properly. We have posted blurbs from editors describing what they want, so study those to customize your pitch to what every editor would like. For instance, news editors won’t want to listen to a pitch for a element. Review the publication to assure your pitch is a excellent fit.
- Arrive in a lot of time. We will operate on time and we will operate like clockwork. If you are late, you forfeit your pitch.
- Respect the time limit. When you listen to the a person-moment warning, commence to wrap up. When you hear time termed, thank the editor and inform them that you will follow up with an email.
- Realize the restrictions. Be sure to realize that attending PitchFest does not warranty you a sale. It does guarantee you an opportunity to pitch deal with-to-experience to editors who are extremely hard to obtain, even by email.
Of class, independent journalists do not occur to the conference just for PitchFest. There are panels geared in direction of freelancers and panels to enable all journalists establish their expertise. You’ll hear from seasoned journalists and editors about how to craft a productive pitch, negotiate charges, locate resources, include narrative producing into your tales, and much far more.
The panels at this year’s convention about significant wellbeing subject areas, this kind of as weather modify, racial justice, the pandemic, cancer screening and much more, will assist you crank out tale thoughts. And every day, there will be possibilities to community with fellow journalists, panelists, editors and reps from hospitals and trade groups.
Karen Blum, AHCJ’s core subject chief on overall health IT and an unbiased journalist in the Baltimore area, has prepared a tip sheet for acquiring the most out of the convention. I very advise examining it prior to arriving in Austin.
I glance forward to seeing you at Health Journalism 2022!